at91 SoC separation

Mark Tinguely tinguely at casselton.net
Tue May 26 15:52:01 UTC 2009

As a side, slightly off-topic note, I have been thinking of the whole boot
process.

The different ARM architecture/board boot sequences are basically the same.
I agree that the main difference between the different ARM boards are the
difference in the locations of devices map.

Right now, the init_arm() manually allocates the "level one" page tables
so they are available for the pmap_devmap_bootstrap() call.

The devmap bootstrap can be modified to automatically allocate any missing
"level one" page tables from the end of the free memory pointer. The
updated end of free memory is sent back to the initialation routine.
Add a few calls for architecture initialization and ever board can use
the same boot routine.

I agree this is not a SoC scoped add-on project.

--Mark Tinguely