making the cross tools- more info

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue May 19 20:21:40 UTC 2009

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <4A1310F8.3070202 at telenix.org>
>             Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:
> : I have one bit more of info, so I'm going to paste it at the end.
> : -------------------------------------
> : Referring to the "Mini-install guide" that's on the Arm web page, I've
> : built/installed the compiler, but when I got to the 2nd set of instructions,
> : about building the binutils, it gives me this error after doing quite a bit of
> : building:
> :
> : make: don't know how to make /usr/cross/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
> : *** Error code 2
> :
> : The DESTDIR is /usr/cross, and the command itself from the guide sets the
> : TOOLS_PREFIX also to /usr/cross.  Any idea what's going on, that it's refusing
> : to use my system libc.a?  It's a cross-compiler here, which means it's going to
> : execute here on my i386 machine, so it really SHOULD use my local libc.a (not
> : some libc.a for the Arm arch), right?
> :
> :
> : [ADDED} the build error came in the "all" target part of building of ld, which
> : is the 7th app in that subdir (all the others went beautifully).  Svn diff
> : doesn't tell me that I have any mods, and seeing as I only recently changed
> : from cvs to svn (about 2 months ago) I'm really pretty sure I haven't hacked
> : into there any.
>
> I usually use:
>
> cd /usr/src
> sudo make xdev TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=arm

OK, does xdev just do the cross tools?  The port I'm after doesn't yet exist,
after all.  Oh, BTW, I checked and (wouldn't you know it) the first gcc that
added Cortex support is (I think) 4.3.0.  Well, maybe I can get 4.3.0 to build,
who knows?  I know very well I can do it directly from the gcc sources, I
alreqady tried that, excepting I used a machine description I can't end up with
(derivative of Linux).