making the cross tools- more info

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue May 19 20:17:32 UTC 2009

In message: <4A1310F8.3070202 at telenix.org>
            Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:
: I have one bit more of info, so I'm going to paste it at the end.
: -------------------------------------
: Referring to the "Mini-install guide" that's on the Arm web page, I've
: built/installed the compiler, but when I got to the 2nd set of instructions,
: about building the binutils, it gives me this error after doing quite a bit of
: building:
:
: make: don't know how to make /usr/cross/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
: *** Error code 2
:
: The DESTDIR is /usr/cross, and the command itself from the guide sets the
: TOOLS_PREFIX also to /usr/cross.  Any idea what's going on, that it's refusing
: to use my system libc.a?  It's a cross-compiler here, which means it's going to
: execute here on my i386 machine, so it really SHOULD use my local libc.a (not
: some libc.a for the Arm arch), right?
:
:
: [ADDED} the build error came in the "all" target part of building of ld, which
: is the 7th app in that subdir (all the others went beautifully).  Svn diff
: doesn't tell me that I have any mods, and seeing as I only recently changed
: from cvs to svn (about 2 months ago) I'm really pretty sure I haven't hacked
: into there any.

I usually use:

cd /usr/src
sudo make xdev TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=arm

to do all that...

Warner