Intel hardware bug

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Fri Jan 5 12:42:56 UTC 2018

On 01/05/2018 05:07, Jules Gilbert wrote:
> Sorry guys, you just convinced me that no one, not the NSA, not the FSB,
> no one!, has in the past, or will in the future be able to exploit this
> to actually do something not nice.

Attacks have already been demonstrated, pulling secrets out of kernel
space with meltdown and http headers/passwords out of a browser with
spectre.  Javascript PoCs are already in existence, and we can expect
them to find their way into adware-based malware within a week or two.

Also, I'd be willing to bet you a year's rent that certain three-letter
organizations have known about and used this for some time.

> So what is this, really?, it's a market exploit opportunity for AMD.

Don't bet on it.  There's reports of AMD vulnerabilities, also for ARM.
I doubt any major architecture is going to make it out unscathed.  (But
if one does, my money's on Power)