Deprecating / Removing floppy drive support

Alex Kozlov ak at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 4 10:38:49 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 10:26:17AM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 03/12/2017 13:18, Alex Kozlov wrote:

> >> Uhm... no ?
> >>
> >> Very few OS's have had 8" format compatible settings since CP/M
> >> and even fewer handle the track46 pin correctly on write.
> > I'd done it in dos, I read about successful setups for Linux and
> > Windows(older). Anecdotally, I was not able to do it in FreeBSD.
> Never too late to learn....
>
> I still think I have my (from 1982) 8" disks around with a ported CP/M
> system to a TRS-80 like system... But ever since the Intel ASM/CPM
> developement stack died on the University they have been lying round for
> nostalgic reasons. And the hardware got dumped with the last move about
> 12 years ago.
>
> But it never ever occured to me that FreeBSD would be able to do 8", if
> alone for the controller. But now I learn that it could have worked...
> Cool :)
Theoretically, it should work. In practice, as bde@ suggested, you may need
to use UP i386 kernel and perhaps downgrade to earlier version of FreeBSD.
Also you need to somehow acquire 34-to-50 cable or adaptor*. I made mine,
so perhaps that why I failed :)
You don't need to worry about tg43 signal if you don't plan to write on these
floppies.

In the end, after burning weekend on this little project, I realized that I
risk to burn much more time, so I just ordered kryoflux.

*) something like this http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img54306/h/c8ssc.jpg

--
Alex