Deprecating / Removing floppy drive support

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Dec 4 09:26:29 UTC 2017

On 03/12/2017 13:18, Alex Kozlov wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:56:27AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> --------

>>> Well, with proper* cable you can connect 8" drive to fdc and read
>>> it pretty much on any OS that supports floppies.
>> Uhm... no ?
>>
>> Very few OS's have had 8" format compatible settings since CP/M
>> and even fewer handle the track46 pin correctly on write.
> I'd done it in dos, I read about successful setups for Linux and
> Windows(older). Anecdotally, I was not able to do it in FreeBSD.

Never too late to learn....

I still think I have my (from 1982) 8" disks around with a ported CP/M
system to a TRS-80 like system... But ever since the Intel ASM/CPM
developement stack died on the University they have been lying round for
nostalgic reasons. And the hardware got dumped with the last move about
12 years ago.

But it never ever occured to me that FreeBSD would be able to do 8", if
alone for the controller. But now I learn that it could have worked...
Cool :)

--WjW