Deprecating / Removing floppy drive support

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Sun Dec 3 20:05:44 UTC 2017

In message <201712031655.vB3GtIME041023 at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, "Rodney W.
Gri
mes" writes:
> > On 12/03/17 07:16, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > > In message <CANCZdfrYdQTtjZJ_+jSVr25wjAZXd-+4atSaeT5ahfprbtXHWw at mail.gmai
> l.c
> > > om>

> nt

> de.
> > >
> > > It does work. My todo was to merge ufdformat into fdformat but as I said
> > > they are different enough that I need to work out how best to merge them.
> > > Having said that, now that there's discussion of removing fdc(4) maybe it
> 's
> > > best to simply use ufdformat separately from fdformat that when we have t
> he
> > > inclination to remove fdc(4), which may be very soon now -- it would be
> > > much less messy. I'm open to either option.

> n a

> he
> es.
> ity
> m of

> > > What I'm saying is that maintaining some form of fdc support whether it b
> > > in fdc(4) or a USB floppy the ability to dd floppy images for subsequent
> > > use in a VM would be desirable. I'm thinking of one example brought to my
> > > attention about a month ago where a person I know needed to copy old flop
> py
> > > disks to images on his hard drive in order to install an old sewing machi
> ne
> > > application in a virtualbox VM running Windows.
> > >
> > > Tangentially speaking, we could make the same case for CD and DVD drives
> > > not too many years from now...
> > >
> > > Personally, I don't care much (well maybe just a little) if fdc(4) itself
> > > is removed however I think we need some kind of support, which USB fd can
> > > supply if or when fdc(4) is removed. Maybe we should deprecate in 12 and
> > > remove in 13?
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I think as long as you can read and write USB floppy drives under
> > FreeBSD, this change is OK. Even though floppies are old-tech they are
> > still important:
> >
> > https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/05/25/2054255/us-military-uses-8-inch-fl
> oppy-disks-to-coordinate-nuclear-force-operations
> >
> > And from time to time we see criminal cases popping up with crazy people
> > using old C64's with floppy disks. I would feel bad if removing support
> > for floppies from FreeBSD would mean you would depend on a Windows
> > installation to read such disks.
> >
> > Further, keep this change two-step. First remove the code from GENERIC.
> > Then wait a year and see if anyone complains. Then delete the source code.
> >
> > --HPS
>
> I was gona keep quiet on this, but, well, I just cant now.  If you remove
> the entry from GENERIC no one well complain, the more likely case is they
> well just compile a customer kernel and do there work.  So using this as
> a "is anyone using it" is a straw man.
>
> That being said, even an old crusty fart like me only has had to deal
> [...]

I've spent some time thinking about this while cleaning up the yard of old
leaves today. All three of my machines downstairs still have fdc(4)
controllers and take a poke at it.

USB floppy does also work. The ufdformat USB floppy format (not yet
committed, thank you bms@) also works in 12 (it didn't in 7 due to borked
USB in 7). I've yet to decide whether to commit it as is or merge it into
the existing fdformat.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>