svn commit: r274739 - head/sys/mips/conf

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 22 21:21:17 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-22 at 22:06 +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > The arrogance in the way you talk down to me about my right and ability
> > to decide these things is mind-boggling.  It's clear you're going to do
> > whatever you want, so I guess I'll just shut up.
>
> With all due respect, Ian, you've been very difficult to work with, not
> least because any attempt to have an adult discussion with you on this
> subject ends with you saying "you clearly don't want to listen so I'll
> just go away".  It's simply not true, but repeat it often enough and it
> will *become* true.
>
> We now have automatic unblocking back (which is *precisely* what you

I noted that in one of my replies, and also said that it appeared from
this thread that that was considered a temporary action which would be
undone.  Nobody contradicted that until now.

> wanted), and I am willing to allow a tunable to turn it off, but I will
> not allow disabling it by default, because I believe it is better than

That's all I ever asked for, from day one, and this is the first
non-negative response to it I can remember.  I never asked for it to be
disabled by default.  I asked for a knob.  I asked for it to possibily
take multiple knobs, or anything else reasonable to make it difficult to
do the wrong thing by accident.

When Adrian started talking about a somewhat different need, I went out
of my way to point out that his request was different than mine, just to
make sure there was no confusion about any sort of enabled-by-default.

So yes, maybe my tone has been a bit strident.  That tends to happen
when you keep saying one thing and the responses you get are as if you
had said something else completely.

-- Ian