svn commit: r274739 - head/sys/mips/conf

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Fri Nov 21 19:39:22 UTC 2014

Ian Lepore wrote this message on Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:14 -0700:

> > > Who are you to tell me what I want? ;-)
> >
> > So, after sleeping on it, I think the more sane way to go is to create
> > a STANDARD (or better named) kernel config file in sys/conf that is
> > always included by config...  Then things like random can be included
> > here, and it allows the adventurous to use nodevice and nooption to
> > disable...
> >
> > This has the added benifit that other options that are now "standard"
> > could be made optional with a bit of work, and those that try to reduce
> > the kernel config could impore their changes for others w/o breaking
> > things for the rest of us...
> >
> > Thoughts on this?
>
> When I tried to add things to arm/conf/DEFAULTS I got my hand slapped
> and was told to remove what I had added because the only thing that is
> supposed to be in there is stuff required for the platform to run.  That
> sounds a lot like what you're proposing.

Kinda, except it's what is required for "FreeBSD" (for the definition
we are familar w/) to run...

After looking at */conf/DEFAULTS, we already have one other option for
this global include, device mem...  And you could argue that options
NEW_PCIB should be there too (or really, it just be turned on by
default now)...

Though why they forced you to remove GEOM_PART_BSD, but didn't remove
it from all the other DEFAULTS is beyond me...  arm is the ONLY one
that doesn't have GEOM_PART_BSD in it...  GEOM_PART is completely
unnecessary for a system to run since you can do NFS root...  So, the
argument that it is required for the platform to run is BS...

> It doesn't take more than a glance at the existing DEFAULTS files to see
> that's not how they're actually being used now.  arm is probably
> closest, but it has a couple partition type options in it that I don't
> think are required.  I'm not sure it's wise to create the same thing
> again with yet another name, only to find years from now that it too has
> drifted away from the original author's intentions.

IMO, we should have a global defaults file which include a few standard
things..  For example, on really small systems, you might want to rip
out subsystems you don't want/need, so things like kqueue might be able
to be removed...

Back before config supported nodevice and nooption, it made sense to
only include required options, because there was no way you could turn
it off...  Now that we have nooption and nodevice, including the most
common for each platform in DEFAULTS is the way to go...  btw, include
was added in 2001, and two years later nodevice and nooption was
added...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579