svn commit: r274739 - head/sys/mips/conf

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 21 19:14:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 11:01 -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Mark Murray wrote this message on Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 18:35 +0000:
> > > If you're really going for small embeded, you don't want FreeBSD,
> >
> > Who are you to tell me what I want? ;-)
>
> So, after sleeping on it, I think the more sane way to go is to create
> a STANDARD (or better named) kernel config file in sys/conf that is
> always included by config...  Then things like random can be included
> here, and it allows the adventurous to use nodevice and nooption to
> disable...
>
> This has the added benifit that other options that are now "standard"
> could be made optional with a bit of work, and those that try to reduce
> the kernel config could impore their changes for others w/o breaking
> things for the rest of us...
>
> Thoughts on this?

When I tried to add things to arm/conf/DEFAULTS I got my hand slapped
and was told to remove what I had added because the only thing that is
supposed to be in there is stuff required for the platform to run.  That
sounds a lot like what you're proposing.

It doesn't take more than a glance at the existing DEFAULTS files to see
that's not how they're actually being used now.  arm is probably
closest, but it has a couple partition type options in it that I don't
think are required.  I'm not sure it's wise to create the same thing
again with yet another name, only to find years from now that it too has
drifted away from the original author's intentions.

-- Ian