XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

Stephen Hurd shurd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 29 07:41:04 UTC 2014

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Is there some reason JSON is not sufficient?  I think that’s a better question to ask, since the conversation otherwise quickly tends to sound a little like “I’ll accept any single unified format as long as it’s the specific one I like!” :)   I think the greater good argument would suggest just picking one that’s expressive enough (roll a pair of dice), put on your bikeshed-proof sunglasses, and proceed.

The biggest problem I tend to have with JSON is that there is no comment
format.  I rarely update a configuration without adding a comment
regarding it, and since JSON doesn't have comments, it's simply a
non-starter for most of my usage.  The whole "just a key that you know
isn't real" hack is terrible.