libutil in Debian

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 9 11:35:55 UTC 2013

  Robert,

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:42:51PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
R> The FreeBSD libutil library has a number of facilities which are not
R> specific to FreeBSD and could be useful on other systems.
R>
R> In Debian we have a bunch of FreeBSD libraries already (see [1]). When
R> ever possible (e.g. libsbuf) the library is provided to all Debian
R> platforms, not just those using the kernel of FreeBSD.
R>
R> As of now we do not have libutil though, because since Glibc already
R> provides a library with this name, we would have to rename it.
R> Renaming libutil ourselves is a big nuissance, because we'd be
R> diverging from FreeBSD, and our porting work would also have to differ
R> from FreeBSD's. Things are much easier for us if we can use the same
R> name FreeBSD does.
R>
R> Would it be possible for this library to be renamed in FreeBSD? Then
R> we could quickly follow suit and package it. Any name you're
R> comfortable with could do. My only concern is about avoiding namespace
R> collisions.
R>
R> Thanks for considering
R>
R> [1] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/freebsd-libs

With all respect to GNU and Debian the libutil in BSD appeared in 1988,
and the fact that GNU has taken that name in 1996 isn't reason for BSD
to change name.

Also, FreeBSD is just one of the BSD descendants, and all of them share
the libutil.

P.S. This is my personal opinion, not projects position.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.