libutil in Debian

Robert Millan rmh at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 9 10:42:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

The FreeBSD libutil library has a number of facilities which are not
specific to FreeBSD and could be useful on other systems.

In Debian we have a bunch of FreeBSD libraries already (see [1]). When
ever possible (e.g. libsbuf) the library is provided to all Debian
platforms, not just those using the kernel of FreeBSD.

As of now we do not have libutil though, because since Glibc already
provides a library with this name, we would have to rename it.
Renaming libutil ourselves is a big nuissance, because we'd be
diverging from FreeBSD, and our porting work would also have to differ
from FreeBSD's. Things are much easier for us if we can use the same
name FreeBSD does.

Would it be possible for this library to be renamed in FreeBSD? Then
we could quickly follow suit and package it. Any name you're
comfortable with could do. My only concern is about avoiding namespace
collisions.

Thanks for considering

[1] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/freebsd-libs

--