[RFC] Review of mount.conf man page

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 8 21:55:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In this GRN, Marcel overhauled the root mount logic:

> r214006 | marcel | 2010-10-17 22:01:53 -0700 (Sun, 17 Oct 2010) | 20 lines
>
> Re-implement the root mount logic using a recursive approach, whereby each
> root file system (starting with devfs and a synthesized configuration) can
> contain directives for mounting another file system as root.
>
> My diff is here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/mount-conf/mount.conf.diff.txt
>
> I also have the man page rendered in ASCII, for easier reading:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/mount-conf/mount.conf.8.txt

A few notes: our style for man pages (mdoc) is to start a new line for new
sentences.  I am not sure that the .Cm macro is appropriate to describe
.onfail and friends; I guess that devd.conf.5 is using .Ic which might be
better.  The default font for .Em is supposedly italic, so it may not be
best for the mountroot prompt, either.  I'm not sure why there are square
brackets around the 'N' argument to .timeout; does the default behavior of
3 seconds apply to a .timeout without 'N', or the absence of a .timeout?
Can you double-check whether .Pp is needed after .Ed?

Thanks for writing this, it's always good to have these things documented.

-Ben