[RFC] Review of mount.conf man page

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 8 18:45:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

In this GRN, Marcel overhauled the root mount logic:

r214006 | marcel | 2010-10-17 22:01:53 -0700 (Sun, 17 Oct 2010) | 20 lines

Re-implement the root mount logic using a recursive approach, whereby each
root file system (starting with devfs and a synthesized configuration) can
contain directives for mounting another file system as root.

This stuff is very, very useful, and I have experimented with things
like mounting a root file system on a geom_uzip image of a UFS file system
and it works great.

I looked at these threads to look for some examples:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2010-August/010521.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2010-August/010547.html

and also read the source code of src/sys/kern/vfs_mountroot.c.

I would like to contribute a man page for the mount.conf file.

My diff is here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/mount-conf/mount.conf.diff.txt

I also have the man page rendered in ASCII, for easier reading:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/mount-conf/mount.conf.8.txt

Please review and provide feedback.
I'd like to get this committed for 9.2 if possible.

Thanks to Marcel for writing this code....it's really cool!

--
Craig