Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 17 07:34:15 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 23:10, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2012, at 10:10 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> On 01/16/2012 19:41, Jos Backus wrote:

>>> I realize that.
>>
>> Good, then we're done. :)
>
> Not necessarily...
>
>>> If FreeBSD had a solid solution out of the box, all this pidfile
>>> hackery in the base system wouldn't be necessary.
>>
>> We don't do religious wars here. We especially don't do trollbait
>> from djb acolytes. The "pidfile hackery" that we currently have
>> works just fine in the vast majority of cases. The fact that it
>> doesn't meet some people's ideas of architectural purity is totally
>> beside the point.
>
> This isn't a religious war.

You obviously haven't spent a lot of time dealing with djb'ites. Your
warning sign should have been "messy and unreliable pidfile concept"
from the OP, or "pidfile hackery" above.

> This is someone coming to us and saying that it might be a good idea
> to clean up the mess by importing a tiny bit of extra code

That's not even close to an accurate description of what this project
would entail. Have you ever used daemontools?

> I'm not convinced it is a non-starter.  I'd fully support Jos if he
> wanted to commit the code and had done the leg work to do it.

One would hope that it would take more than just your support to
entirely change the way that we start and manage services in FreeBSD.

Also, see my followup to Jos' subsequent post.

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.