Build tools

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jun 29 21:06:24 UTC 2010

In message: <AANLkTikmrAm1n-rX05I6XGBgqccgO_6L_lzMZqR25WSf at mail.gmail.com>
            Garrett Cooper <gcooper at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > In message: <AANLkTimyFxd6EC6lCxWRkM0udeKOLvgdqpXjxRYZgb8l at mail.gmail.com>
: >            Garrett Cooper <gcooper at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > : On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Garrett Cooper <gcooper at freebsd.org> wrote:
: > : > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:
: > : >> Hi Warner,
: > : >>
: > : >> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 06:17:19PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : >>> In message: <20100626.172307.4959786928950356.imp at bsdimp.com>
: > : >>>             "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
: > : >>> : Hey Ruslan,
: > : >>> :
: > : >>> : Maybe you can help me understand why the following are in the
: > : >>> : buildtools list:
: > : >>> : _share= share/syscons/scrnmaps
: > : >>> :
: > : >>> :     bin/csh \
: > : >>> :     lib/ncurses/ncurses \
: > : >>> :     lib/ncurses/ncursesw \
: > : >>> :     ${_share} \
: > : >>> :     lib/libmagic \
: > : >>> :     usr.sbin/sysinstall
: > : >>> :
: > : >>> : There's clearly some side effects that I'm missing here...
: > : >>>
: > : >>> I'm missing that build-tools: target is built, and that those tools
: > : >>> are then used to build these items.  It isn't that these items are
: > : >>> built themselves.
: > : >>
: > : >> Is there anything else I'm supposed to answer?  :-)
: > : >
: > : > I think I see why peter@ added the sysinstall bit. If you look at the
: > : > Makefile itself there's a built-tools target (which is fairly
: > : > inconsequential as the rtermcap program is relatively small), and a
: > : > dependency to check for an existing prebuilt fat termcap file and/or
: > : > build a copy from scratch if the prebuilt one doesn't exist. I have no
: > : > idea why it's in sysinstall's Makefile -- but it's there today (which
: > : > means that one should probably tread around it with a big stick for
: > : > the time being, and eventually be moved out if it's of value).
: > :
: > :     Finally got things netbooted, and I verified that nothing blew up
: > : with sysinstall missing from the box.
: >
: > I've audited at least the build-tools target portion, and nothing will
: > break if we don't build it during the build-tools phase, so long as we
: > don't try to build sysinstall later.  Of course, a stripped termcap
: > file likely should replace the compiled-in entries.  Many people have
: > had good luck getting the stripped version to be extra-tiny.  Also,
: > many of the entries that are compiled in are no longer relevant, and
: > could be removed (another reason to have them be in a file sysinstall
: > reads).  The days of 1.2MB floppies that motivated this in the first
: > place are long gone...
:
:     Because the defacto floppy size was increased from 1.2MB to
: 1.44MB, or because floppies should die (pc98 folks would probably
: disagree though as that's why sysinstall still has floppy support :/)?

No.  Because the size sysinstall has to fit in is now constrained by
the CDROM's size, not by the floppy's size.

Warner