Schedule for releases

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 22 11:36:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> Den 22/12/2010 kl. 09.52 skrev Oliver Fromme:
>
>> For me, personally, one significant problem is that I don't have the
>> resources to easily run several versions of FreeBSD at home.
>
> Wouldn't a jail be sufficient for work that stays in userland?

And there are also reference boxes in the FreeBSD.org cluster that all FreeBSD
developers have access to -- for example, ref7-amd64.FreeBSD.org.

> For kernel work, I think a virtual machine would be much easier than
> dual-boot. Virtuialbox seems to support FreeBSD as both host and client
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host.html), although I
> haven't tried using FreeBSD as a host.

I've had lots of success using Virtualbox, both hosting and hosted on,
FreeBSD, in our teaching environment.  I also run FreeBSD with significant
success under VMWare on Mac OS X.  FreeBSD on Xen is improving but I've not
managed to get a kernel debugging setup working there as yet.

Robert