RFC: making gpart default

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Sep 26 22:07:45 UTC 2008

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> That's why I believe we need to attach real meaning
> to the partition type. We should disallow a newfs_ufs
> on a partition that is not of type freebsd-ufs. We
> should disallow swapon for a partition that is not
> of type freebsd-swap. etc..

However at present it is very convenient that one can share the swap
partitions with Linux on a dual boot machine (at the price of running
mkswap in the Linux boot scripts). I don't clearly see the benefit
coming from enforcing the partition type. After all you should be able
to do whatever you like with a chunk of your hard disk, for example
cyclic buffers for inn, database space for databases working on
raw disk, etc. space for ZFS which doesn't care about partition type
(i have a ZFS partition which is marked of type Linux fs) and obviously
swap.

--

Michel TALON