RFC: making gpart default

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Thu Sep 25 19:58:16 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Peter Wemm wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com>
> wrote:
>> I'd like to switch all architectures to gpart for the reasons given
>> below. All current partitioning schemes are supported by gpart and
>> work on all platforms. On top of that, ia64 and powerpc are using
>> gpart exclusively already.
>
> What, if anything, do we need to do to start using it ourselves now on
> i386 or amd64 platforms?  Just change kernel options?

Yes, that's it. At this time, the following 4
lines can be added to achieve the switch:

	nooption	GEOM_BSD
	nooption	GEOM_MBR
	options 	GEOM_PART_BSD
	options 	GEOM_PART_MBR

> Also, while here,  the APM (apple partition manager) module doesn't
> quite work with Tivo disks.  Tivo drives don't have the DDR signature.
> Simply removing the DDR code enables FreeBSD to mount and work with
> tivo drives.

Yes, I saw the commit. Do you know if there's anything
we can check for in case there's no DDR?

I'm thinking of accepting a DDR-less APM scheme only if
we find some indication that it's a Tivo disk. I guess
I like the comfort of checking the DDR and prefer not to
eliminate it unconditionally. This may not be possible
though...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com