Advanced warning: virtualization work will be afoot

Darren Reed darrenr at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 15 14:25:51 UTC 2008

Robert,

Do you have any more information about what the details of
this virtualization work will be?  e.g. will it be similar
to what Solaris has with zones?

The reason that I ask is that I've just finished getting
the ipfilter code (non-Sun code) converted to being zone
aware. What does that mean? Lots of global variables are
gone, replaced by soft-context structures that are allocated
and free'd when zones come alive/die.  For BSD, while all
of the code paths are the same, I'm currently only using
a single soft context and just pass around a pointer to
it.

If you're going to be doing similar work for FreeBSD, I
will try and get this into the tree sooner, rather than
later, so that there's one less component that you need
to worry about.

Cheers,
Darren
--