Advanced warning: virtualization work will be afoot

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 13 16:59:52 UTC 2008

Dear all:

This weekend is the FreeBSD Developer Summit in Cambridge, UK, and one of the
focuses of the meetings will be the on-going network stack virtualization.
We hope to have several days in a row to focus on known issues, understand
(and possible address) various concerns about the approach, and possibly
expand the focus to further subsystems.  We also hope to explore doing some
amount of virtualization below the language level, and hopefully have the
right set of people there to talk about that.

With all this in mind, it may well be that we begin some of the heavy lifting
on virtualization in the base Subversion tree, whereas to date this work has
occurred almost entirely in Perforce.  The outcome of the meetings will depend
a lot on what we find and what progress we make, so this isn't exactly a
"HEADS UP: Virtualization going into SVN", but it could well be that there is
quite a bit of committing going on.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory