Not providing static libraries (libkse/libpthread)

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Mar 26 19:36:03 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 01:51:39PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> Is there a good reason for providing static libraries for
> libpthread/libkse?  I'd like to not support them to get
> rid of some hacks to make sure certain symbols are present
> in the static library case.

I the maintenance cost is low and the hacks are not in the way
of progress I think we should keep the static libraries. I think
we're throwing something away too carelessly otherwise.

For example, the access sequences generated by compilers for
variables that have the __thread attribute do really suck for
when code is to be generated for dynamic linking. The access
sequences in the static case are superior. The performance
gain is significant if one can build a complete multi-threaded
application.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net