4.0 release candidate now up for FTP - come and get it!

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at zippy.cdrom.com
Wed Feb 9 11:32:33 PST 2000

We're now 21 days from the official release of 4.0 and I've just
finished uploading the 4.0 release candidate I promised everyone,
complete with ISO images for both the Alpha and x86 architectures
(BOTH should be bootable, so Alpha people should definitely try to
install directly from these ISOs if they can lay their hands on a
burner and a fast Internet connection).  These are true release
candidates, with full XFree86 3.3.6 and package bits, and I encourage
people to test the heck out of them.

I'd also like to thank two people who don't get enough acknowledgement
in this process: Steve Price <steve at freebsd.org> and Satoshi Asami
<asami at freebsd.org>.  They provide the precompiled packages which go
into these releases and, now that the ports collection has grown past
3000 ports (largely Steve's fault again), this has become an even more
significant yet still largely thankless job.  Let's at least try and
solve the latter problem by taking this opportunity to give them a big
round of thanks!

I'd also like to thank Brian McGovern's newly-formed QA team
(freebsd-qa at freebsd.org) for bringing more organized quality assurance
to this process.  They've only just started to ramp up their
operations, but already I've gotten a lot of good feedback from them
and look forward to working closely with them in the future.

Usual feedback and kvetching to me and/or current at freebsd.org please.
We have 21 more days to round off the sharp edges with 4.0 and I
strongly encourage everyone to not wait until the last minute.  I
will, at most, be doing only one more release candidate before 4.0 is
declared officially released and it becomes a little late to fix it.

For direct FTP installations, please see:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/{i386,alpha}/4.0-20000208-CURRENT

If you're looking for installable ISO images, please see:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/4.0-20000208-CURRENT

Thanks!

- Jordan

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message