amd64/182686: bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 7 16:17:20 UTC 2013

On Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:18:42 am XXXXXX wrote:

> >Number:         182686
> >Category:       amd64
> >Synopsis:       bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       serious
> I have installed freebsd-9.1 on my AMD 64 machine it worked well. But I have
decided to go on 9.2 version and. I booted from usb, create slice and bsd-
partitions on IDE hard drive using gpart and newfs. then i used bsdinstall to
install the system. after installing i make "shutdown -p now". When i turned
my computer on, BIOS did not detect any hard drive.
> Then i installed system on SATA hard drive and have got the same result.
When i connect this SATA drive to windows machine via USB - disk is OK. After
deleting FreeBSD slice and connecting the disk back to AMD64 its BIOS has
detected the drive.

Did you use GPT?  If so, try using MBR instead for partitioning your disk.

--
John Baldwin