amd64/182686: bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 7 16:20:01 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR amd64/182686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org
Cc: XXXXXX <rekunov at gmail.com>,
 freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/182686: bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:41:27 -0400

 On Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:18:42 am XXXXXX wrote:
 >=20
 > >Number:         182686
 > >Category:       amd64
 > >Synopsis:       bios lost HDD after installing freebsd-9.x
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > I have installed freebsd-9.1 on my AMD 64 machine it worked well. But I h=
 ave=20
 decided to go on 9.2 version and. I booted from usb, create slice and bsd-
 partitions on IDE hard drive using gpart and newfs. then i used bsdinstall =
 to=20
 install the system. after installing i make "shutdown -p now". When i turne=
 d=20
 my computer on, BIOS did not detect any hard drive.
 > Then i installed system on SATA hard drive and have got the same result.=
 =20
 When i connect this SATA drive to windows machine via USB - disk is OK. Aft=
 er=20
 deleting FreeBSD slice and connecting the disk back to AMD64 its BIOS has=20
 detected the drive.

 Did you use GPT?  If so, try using MBR instead for partitioning your disk.

 =2D-=20
 John Baldwin