Netvault on FreeBSD-7.2 AMD64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 1 17:44:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:47:00AM +0200, Karsten Thygesen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks a lot to all of you, who responded on my query. The solution
> was to install lib32 (I still wonder why I did de-select them during
> installation) as many of you pointed out.
>
> When I did this, the Netvault binaries could almost run, but they had
> problems finding their dynamic libraries, and after quite a lot of
> googling, I figured out, that I had to set LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH instead
> of LD_LIBRARY_PATH - that little, but crusial, difference took quite
> some hours to figure out. But after we got this knowledge, everything
> seems to work and we do now have Netvault on FreeBSD-7.2-amd64 (but it
> is an unsupported platform from Bakbone - come on, Bakbone, get up to
> speed!).
>
> A small wish is, that it would be wonderful if the FreeBSD handbook
> could be extended with a small chapter on how to run 32 bit binaries
> on 64 bit platforms - especially hints like LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH would
> be nice to know about... :-)

The thing is, I don't think you should have to set LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH.

Did you reboot after installing the 32 bits libraries? Because if you
do, /etc/rc.d/ldconfig should run ldconfig for the 32-bits libraries in
/usr/lib32. See ldconfig32_paths in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and
/etc/rc.d/ldconfig.

Alternatively you can run '/etc/rc.d/ldconfig start' as root after
installing the libraries.

If that doesn't work, it would be a bug.

Roland