Netvault on FreeBSD-7.2 AMD64

Karsten Thygesen karthy at netic.dk
Wed Jul 1 07:16:39 UTC 2009

Hi

Thanks a lot to all of you, who responded on my query. The solution
was to install lib32 (I still wonder why I did de-select them during
installation) as many of you pointed out.

When I did this, the Netvault binaries could almost run, but they had
problems finding their dynamic libraries, and after quite a lot of
googling, I figured out, that I had to set LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH instead
of LD_LIBRARY_PATH - that little, but crusial, difference took quite
some hours to figure out. But after we got this knowledge, everything
seems to work and we do now have Netvault on FreeBSD-7.2-amd64 (but it
is an unsupported platform from Bakbone - come on, Bakbone, get up to
speed!).

A small wish is, that it would be wonderful if the FreeBSD handbook
could be extended with a small chapter on how to run 32 bit binaries
on 64 bit platforms - especially hints like LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH would
be nice to know about... :-)

But thanks guys - the FreeBSD community is the best!!

Karsten