amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Thu Apr 10 18:55:57 UTC 2008

> On Thursday 10 April 2008 09:36:16 am Fernan Aguero wrote:
> >
> > >Number:         122624
> > >Category:       amd64
> > >Synopsis:       unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0
> > >Confidential:   no
> > >Severity:       critical
> > I've installed a fresh copy of FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE (amd64) using the Disc1
> ISO.
> >
> > I did an expert installation, and selected 'Minimal' in the selection of
> packages/distributions, because I already have a setup in the lab with a
> build host having a CVS mirror of FreeBSD (a setup pretty similar to that
> described in development(7)).
> >
> > Because of the minimal setup, /usr/src is empty.
> >
> > This in turn produces the following errors upong boot:
> > ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c:341
> > Abort trap (core dumped)
> >
> > This has the consequence that many executable files are missing. The most
> important of which is 'make' which prevents us from doing anything
> (installing ports, etc):
> > /usr/bin/make: Exec format error. Binary file not executable
> >
> > This is solved if I edit /etc/fstab and mount a checkout of FreeBSD-7.0
> sources in  /usr/src. But this is not a good solution. A minimal installation
> from CD should produce a working installation!

> ld-elf.so.1 doesn't use anything from /usr/src.  The specific assert that is
> failing is this:
>
>         assert(ELF_R_TYPE(rela->r_info) == R_X86_64_JMP_SLOT);
>
> in reloc_plt() in src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c.

I wrote down that error on paper and typed it in the email
... but I'm sure it said /usr/src ... that's why I decided
to set my /etc/fstab to mount freebsd-7.0 sources from another FreeBSD
box and symlink /usr/src.

> I wonder if you somehow have 32-bit binaries instead of 64-bit?
>
> --
> John Baldwin

I wonder the same thing because after doing that, even
though make was now OK (I was able to cd
/usr/ports/sysutils/screen && make install), other commands
failed (vi, Exec format error. Binary file not executable).

This is a Dell PowerEdge SC1435 with two Opteron 2210
processors and 8 Gb RAM.

I tried running brandelf on some executables, but brandelf
itself would not run!

We reinstalled the box from scratch, reformatting the disk
and now choosing a Standard install (Developer: full
sources, docs, no X and no games) to no avail.

Fernan