amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 10 18:10:34 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 April 2008 09:36:16 am Fernan Aguero wrote:

> >Number:         122624
> >Category:       amd64
> >Synopsis:       unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       critical
> I've installed a fresh copy of FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE (amd64) using the Disc1
ISO.

> I did an expert installation, and selected 'Minimal' in the selection of
packages/distributions, because I already have a setup in the lab with a
build host having a CVS mirror of FreeBSD (a setup pretty similar to that
described in development(7)).

> Because of the minimal setup, /usr/src is empty.
>
> This in turn produces the following errors upong boot:
> ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c:341
> Abort trap (core dumped)
>
> This has the consequence that many executable files are missing. The most
important of which is 'make' which prevents us from doing anything
(installing ports, etc):
> /usr/bin/make: Exec format error. Binary file not executable
>
> This is solved if I edit /etc/fstab and mount a checkout of FreeBSD-7.0
sources in  /usr/src. But this is not a good solution. A minimal installation
from CD should produce a working installation!

ld-elf.so.1 doesn't use anything from /usr/src.  The specific assert that is
failing is this:

        assert(ELF_R_TYPE(rela->r_info) == R_X86_64_JMP_SLOT);

in reloc_plt() in src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c.  I wonder if you somehow
have 32-bit binaries instead of 64-bit?

--
John Baldwin