amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu Apr 10 19:30:03 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR amd64/122624; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Peter Wemm" <peter at wemm.org>
To: "Fernan Aguero" <fernan at unsam.edu.ar>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:01:40 -0700

 On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Fernan Aguero <fernan at unsam.edu.ar> wrote:

 >  I've installed a fresh copy of FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE (amd64) using the Disc1 ISO.
 >
 >  I did an expert installation, and selected 'Minimal' in the selection of packages/distributions, because I already have a setup in the lab with a build host having a CVS mirror of FreeBSD (a setup pretty similar to that described in development(7)).
 >
 >  Because of the minimal setup, /usr/src is empty.
 >
 >  This in turn produces the following errors upong boot:
 >  ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c:341
 >  Abort trap (core dumped)

 This doesn't make sense to me.  I just built a dozen machines using
 'minimal' installs in the freebsd.org cluster.  Nothing but the base
 dist and a kernel.  /usr/src was quite empty, and I didn't see
 anything like this, even once.

 If I had to guess, it seems more like you ended up with a corrupted
 set of binaries being installed or in memory somehow.  Did you also
 reboot in between the initial attempts to do this and mounting
 /usr/src?

 Something else has to be going on.  The simple existence of /usr/src/*
 can't affect this.

 Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com
 "If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
 themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell
 **WANTED TO BUY: Garmin Streetpilot 2650 or 2660. Not later model! **