Running i386 binaries on amd64

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat May 13 21:31:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-May-13 16:06:35 +1000, Jim Prettyman wrote:
>Can you help me a bit more here? Should I create a
>/usr/local/lib32/compat directory and copy the libraries from
>/usr/local/lib on my i386 box to there?

That's a start.  Lots of ports include their own shared libraries in
private directories: java, mozilla, perl, OpenOffice, python, ruby,
zsh off the top of my head.  These paths need to be handled as well.

java, OpenOffice and mozilla also use a chain of shellscripts to
appropriately configure their environment before starting - these
would probably also need tweaking.

>This leads me to my real question: assuming I get this to work and I
>am able to run my i386 bash successfully, can I expect the same
>process to give me a working version of openoffice (since it's marked
>as i386 only in the ports)?

OOo is far more complex than bash.  You will need to play with
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.5/program/soffice as well.

Let us know how you get on.

--
Peter Jeremy