Running i386 binaries on amd64

Jim Prettyman jimprettyman at gmail.com
Sat May 13 06:06:37 UTC 2006

On 5/12/06, Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz> wrote:
> Jim Prettyman píše v pá 12. 05. 2006 v 16:47 +1000:
> > >
> > > What are the symptoms you see?
> >
> > My initial test was with bash from my i386 box. It failed to run with
> > 'Shared object "linintl.so.6" not found'. That lib exists in
> > /usr/local/lib, but is presumably the wrong type for the i386 binary
> > to use.
>
> Why do you want to run i386 bash? You can't compile a native amd64 one?

You misunderstood the point. I want to learn how to run i386 binaries
on my amd64 box and I happened to select bash as a test case as I had
it handy on an i386 box.

> Static binaries run out of the box, dynamic binaries need relevant
> libraries placed in /usr/local/lib32/compat, or wherever else you run
> ldconfig -32 over them.

Can you help me a bit more here? Should I create a
/usr/local/lib32/compat directory and copy the libraries from
/usr/local/lib on my i386 box to there?

This leads me to my real question: assuming I get this to work and I
am able to run my i386 bash successfully, can I expect the same
process to give me a working version of openoffice (since it's marked
as i386 only in the ports)?

Greg