SMP system not running SMP

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Fri Jun 23 11:05:04 UTC 2006

In message <E1Ftj1W-000Ibj-T2 at dilbert.firstcallgroup.co.uk>, Pete French writes
:
>> We've had no problems with the H8DAE (Same board without U320) all have
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Once again Adaptec SCSI is the difference. Possibly we should move this
>discussion somewhere more SCSi related ? It's certainly not an amd64
>problem as I get the same issue under the i386 version (though it does appear
>to be an Opteron issue!)

I do have confirmation:  If I remove ahd from an SMP kernel, and boot with
ACPI, I get SMP.  So, the SMP problem is caused by disabling ACPI, but I can't
enable ACPI because it causes the machine to hang at boot.

There are two possible paths to fixing this:  One is to make SMP work without
ACPI.  Since NetBSD was booting SMP on this machine with ACPI disabled in the
BIOS, I assume that's theoretically possible.  The other is to figure out
why the machine hangs during waiting for devices to settle with ACPI enabled.

I'm not sure which list fits this best; there's not really a good list for
"anything happening on an Opteron whether or not it's in amd64 mode".

-s