dual vs single core opteron 100's

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Jan 27 14:06:20 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:03:10PM +0100 I heard the voice of
lars.tunkrans at bredband.net, and lo! it spake thus:

> Correct,  Opteron  uses socket 940  to be able to use registred ECC
> Ram. Whilst  modern  Athlon 64  uses socket 939 to cut the cost of
> the motherboard components and to use unregistred non-ECC RAM.

Opteron 1xx uses Socket 939, and A64 supports ECC RAM.

As far as I've been able to tell, the primary difference is that the
940 motherboards tend to support registered memory while the 939's
generally dont, and the 2xx and up Opterons have the extra HT links
for multi-package systems.  And perhaps some of the Opterons have more
cache, I'm not sure.  The difference became awful awful blurry when
Socket 939 and dual-core A64's came around.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net