first time with a 64bit CPU ... kernel config ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Tue Jan 10 19:57:45 PST 2006

Help ... I'm trying to read through the NOTES file, but ...

1/ I'm running a 3.4G Xeon ... what should I put here for cpu?

#
# You must specify at least one CPU (the one you intend to run on);
# deleting the specification for CPUs you don't need to use may make
# parts of the system run faster.
#
cpu             HAMMER                  # aka K8, aka Opteron & Athlon64

Beyond that one, is there anything that I want to enable/disable?  The
server is a DL360 (second CPU is en-route) with 6G of RAM ... my kernel
config is looking like the below right now, mostly based on how I've setup
my 4.x/i386 servers ...

Thanks ...

=====================
machine         amd64
cpu             HAMMER
ident           kernel

options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         COMPAT_43               # Needed by COMPAT_LINUX32
options         COMPAT_IA32             # Compatible with i386 binaries
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_LINUX32          # Compatible with i386 linux binaries
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev

options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.

# Linux 32-bit ABI support
options         LINPROCFS               # Cannot be a module yet.

# Bus support.
device          acpi
device          pci

device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

device          ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*

device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

device          sc

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter