AMD64 boot floppies

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 3 10:35:55 PST 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 11:00 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 08:34:50AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/installation-amd64.html#FLOPPIES
> >
> > FYI, it would be trivial to support with the splitfs stuff now.  You'd
> > basically just need to copy over the variables from i386 to set the
> > sizes, etc.
>
> please, Please, PLEASE no... why add the pain of floppies to the release
> mix when no one in their right mind as an AMD64 machine that has a floppy
> drive AND doesn't have a CDROM (or DVD) drive.

What pain?  We no longer use custom kernels for floppy images.  I think I've
successfully removed the pain from floppies now.  See the simple 5 or 6-line
patch I posted in a reply to Scott.  The makefiles now take care of splitting
a GENERIC kernel up into however many floppies are needed, etc.  The only
possible change is that if the entire mfsroot doesn't fit on boot.flp you
have to add 1 more line to define SPLIT_MFSROOT as on Alpha and then you are
done.