Areca Weirdness

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Thu Dec 14 15:14:40 PST 2006

Hello Lawrence

Sorry for the late answer, I hope it still can help you.

Lawrence Farr wrote:
> I've got an Areca 12 port card running a 6Tb array which is divided
> into 2.1Tb chunks at the moment, as it was doing the same with a
> single 6Tb partition.

> If I newfs it, and copy data to it, I have no problem initially.
> If I then try and copy the data on the disk already to a new
> folder, the machine reboots (it's a remote host with no serial
> attached currently). When it comes back to life, it mounts, and
> shows as:
>
> /dev/da0       2.1T    343G    1.6T    18%    /usr/home/areca1
>
> But is completely empty. Unmounting it and trying to fsck it
> errors, as does mounting it by hand.

Strange.

I had recently build a system running FreeBSD/amd64 6.1-RELEASE
with 3 Areca controller. 1x 4-port with 2x 80 GB Disks mirrored
for the system disk and 2x 12-port with total 24x 500 GB Disks for
the data partition. This system is used as a backup server.

On each 12-port controller I created one raidset with all 12 disks
(6000 GB) and on top of this one volume with RAID-6 (5000 GB). In
FreeBSD I concatenated this two together with ccd using just the
raw /dev/da1 and /dev/da2 devices.

In the beginning, when I still could playing around with the
system, I tried a few things. Once I also did try to use the raw
5000 GB disk exported from the controller, but I could not create
partitions and slices on it, bsdlabel has a problem with
partitions over 1 TB. Maybe this is the problem you are running
into. Maybe you could try using ccd with just one disk.

The other large filesystem (from 4.5 TB to almost 10 TB) I already
maintain also use ccd. They are running with 2x 12-port 3Ware and
3x 8-port ICP (older generation) controller for the data
partitions. From the performance side of view I like the Areca
very much, 'tar -zxf ports.tar.gz' takes only around 25 seconds
(controller with BBU and write cache enabled, filesystem with ccd
on the 24 disks on 2 controllers with RAID-6). 3Ware are slow with
smaller files, and the new ICP (now Adaptec) are not supported
with FreeBSD (which does not make me unhappy ;). The old ICP only
support SATA-1, which today also is a minus.

 From Areca (ask the support) you can get the 64bit version of the
cli tool for FreeBSD. When the world is build with
'WITH_LIB32=yes' in /etc/make.conf, also the cli32 tool will run.

I also once installed FreeBSD/amd64 on a systems with only ICP
controller. It runs just find, but the tool to monitor the RAID
did not work, ICP/Adaptec does not have any 64bit version of it
and does only support 32bit. So this forced me to install again
with FreeBSD/i386 on that system. May it could run with the
'WITH_LIB32=yes' option in /etc/make.conf, but I did not know that
back then. I don't remember exactly, but the tools from ICP
complained first about some missing library, which I copied from a
32bit system, but in the end it complained about not being able to
connect to the controller.

> Are there any known issues with the driver on AMD64? I had
> major issues with it on Linux/386 with large memory support
> (it would behave equally strangely) that went away when I
> took large memory support out, maybe there are some non 64
> bit safe parts common to both?

I guess, on Linux you will need a very new 2.6.x Kernel to be able
to use the Areca controller. Then the next problem could be
support for filesystems over 2TB, which probably also need to be
enabled.

I also had some interesting effects with "disks" at around 3 TB on
the ICP controller. The FreeBSD Kernel had the disks, but only
with 2TB. It was easy to solve, on the ICP controller a RAID-5 can
be split to 2 virtual disks which the OS then will see. As I used
ccd anyway, this was no big deal.

On the older 3Ware (8xxx) I could only create a RAID-5 with max
2TB (on the controller), so with 12x 250GB disks I had to build 2x
1.25TB RAID to export as disks to the OS. With the 9xxx 3Ware
filesystem over 2TB where possible, but ended at around 2.5TB,
which just worked with 12x 250GB disk and RAID-5.

As I now know, building and using large (eg. over 2TB) filesystems
always gives some headaches. Also doing a fsck on large
filesystems can use a large amount of memory. Then the option
'kern.maxdsiz="2147483648"' (2GB) in /boot/loader.conf comes in
handy. As default a process can only grow up to 512MB. If fsck
starts to use swap, then you need more memory. I once let a fsck
run which grow up to 1.5GB with 1GB memory, after around 24h it
was not finished. I then put in more memory (+1GB) and restarted
fsck, it was done in around 8 hours (4.5TB on the 8xxx 3Ware). I
don't know how long a fsck on the Areca will take, I will see it,
when I once have to do it.

bye
Fabian