Asus A8N Deluxe sli (for anyone thats using one)

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Fri Sep 2 15:04:22 PDT 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:20:23 +0100
David Reid <david at jetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:41:00 +0100
> > Little Wooden Boy <notesoncircumscribingthesky at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>The nve ethernet seemed to crash it all the time using 6.0-current,
> >>but recompiling the kernel without witness and having top running on
> >>the desktop at all times seems to stop the crash...
> >>
> >>I know this is only a temporary measure but it helps..
> >>Hope there is some work going on into a permanent fix, I'd like to
> >>stick with bsd.
> >

> > Per the FBSD-AMD mainboard page:
> >
> > <http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html>
> >
> > I would have thought this board would +/- work with nve(4) under 6-
> > current.  Apparently it does not?  Anybody else can comment on their
> > experiences because I am close to buying an nForce4 Ultra based board.
>
> I would run away from any such board :-(

That was my initial preference but when I started shoping realized how
far behind the VIA based stuff is I had to rethink this.  Sure, the
next generation super kick ass VIA chipset is supposed to blow nForce
away, etc. but from what I hear it suffered interminable delays due to
stability issues.

fwiw- I tried an Asus A8V-E SE recently and was not very impressed w/
performance under FBSD.  Moreover, nor the raid nor onboard NIC worked
either...  So what are you going to do??  The nForce4 based stuff may
not be where we want it to be today but given fbsd's track record I
figure it eventually will be.

> OK, so it works, but the on board nve doesn't and the RAID isn't as good
> as I hoped it might be :-(

So you add an Intel based NIC.  The fbsd-amd mainboard webpage I
referenced indicates the nForce SATA RAID controller works w6-current as
of 20050606 but evidently not for you?  In any evert I plan to use
gmirror as imho it's better anyhow.  So as long as the SATA (II??)
works...

> Also, given that nVidia don't seem willing to reveal the
> super-secret-squirrel specs for anything on the board I'm not sure it's
> ever going to work as well as some of the board from more enlightened
> manafacturers.
>
> I'm seriously contemplating changing my motherboard away from an Abit
> AN-8 Ultra for the above reasons.

Yeah.  The CEO of nVidia should be locked, stocked, and made available
for public spankings.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson