problems recompiling world and kernel on K8QS Pro on 5.4

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 06:50:34 PST 2005

> > > I received the server last week so the bios should be up to date. The
> > > server has 8 GB RAM as eigth 1 GB modules. I have added hw.physmem=4G
> > > to /boot/loader.conf but that does not prevent the compiler errors.
> >
> > This is a FAQ..look for hardware problems.
>
> I can't find the FAQ your refer to. Searching google and freebsd
> referred to issues related to Tyan boards, but none of the suggestions
> solved the issue.
>
> The RAM installed is 1 GB ECC PC3200 Corsair modules
> (CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S). These aren't listed as recommended, but the
> slightly slower PC2700 1 GB module is.

Answering my own mail. Seems to be faulty ram-modules.

Removed all eight modues and swapped four 1 GB 3200 ECC modules from
another server (exact same 1 GB module from Corsair). Recompiled
kernel without problems.

Added four modules from current server to a total of eight, compiled
world with -j 5 and compiled kernel, copied large file from another
host to do simple stress-testing. Currently no signs of problems.

regards
Claus