amd64 does not see all 4 GB RAM on tyan GT24

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 00:26:56 PST 2005

> > Not sure why the SMAP lines didn't get printed out.  Anyways, check your
> > BIOS for a setting related to PCI-Express.  Some motherboards allow you
> > to reclaim the 256MB hole that PCI-Express consumes.  That should help
> > your problem at least a little bit.
>
> I'll do tomorrow when I get back to work.I'll also try to change
> memory mapping to software if that is not the default. I'll post the
> result. Thank you for the feedback and the pointer to the thread that
> discussed a similar (if not exact) issue. The thread is
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2005-August/005814.html

Hardware-remapping gave me this dmesg:

real memory  = 5100273664 (4864 MB)
avail memory = 4126797824 (3935 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD          APIC  >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs

Software-remapping gave me:

real memory  = 5368709120 (5120 MB)
avail memory = 4118933504 (3928 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD          APIC  >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs

I've set memory remapping to hardware in bios.

regards
Claus