FreeBSD 5.4R fails to run i386 binaries. Missing ld-elf32.so.1

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Fri May 20 10:02:29 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 09:52:44AM +0200, Adri Koppes wrote:
> > It certainly was my intention that there are 32-bit shared libs and
> > RTLD in 5.4-RELEASE.  I guess there was something in release/Makefile
> > I failed to add. :-(
>
> Thanks for your confirmation. Hopefully the will come as a seperate
> package later.

I have no plans to provide them as a separate package.
The 32-bit bits will be in 5.5-RELEASE and 6.0-RELEASE, so this problem
is a one time issue.

> FreeBSD 3.x i386 binaries always dump core (bad system call)! I didn't
> see the compat3x and compat4x options available in /stand/sysinstall
> nor could I make the packages in /usr/ports.  Currently I have a
> requirement to be able to run FreeBSD 3.x shared i386 binaries, since
> Sophos Antivirus only ships these! :(( Is it possible to run older
> FreeBSD 3.x style i386 binaries on 5.4 amd64?

I cannot answer that question, but I think there are others on the AMD64
mailing list that might be trying to run 3.x binaries on AMD64 also.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)