freebsd in compaq presario 900

Coleman Kane zombyfork at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 04:52:06 PST 2005

Possibly because a lot of the compaq R3000 and HP zv5000 problems are
related to the NVidia nForce chipset and not directly to the CPU.

In fact, my GW 7422GX worked perfectly fine out-of-the-box with the
5.3 install disc. I had to turn off write caching (hw.ata.wc=0) to
eliminate some ufs corruption. This laptop is based upon a VIA K8
board and many of the components are similar to the K7 VIA boards.

The only thing I needed to patch was the acpi_ppc driver for the
Cool'n'Quiet tech which seems to be replacing the PowerNOW! tech on
older athlons. My guess is the XP-M (based on the K8 Mobile core,
rather than the K7) also have the newer power saving tech.  In
addition, the nForce platform seems to be popular as an integrated
alternative to the centrino platform, so HP seems to be moving in that
direction with their laptops.

Many of the problems that have been attirbuted to the 'AMD64' platform
are artifacts of the platforms available for the AMD64 solutions, and
not the cpus themselves. Also, many of the new XP-M's are K8 cores,
but only run in short (32-bit) mode (I think).