AC'97 Sound will not compile into 5.3 kernel on Gateway 64bit.

Nick Lozinsky ccnp.bsd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 08:33:02 PST 2005

Hello,

I have attempted to build a custom kernel using the old-fashioned way:

  # make depend make install clean

and also the new way.

I have added the necessary devices into the kernel as the handbook suggested:

  device    sound
  device    "snd_ich"           # optional

Rebooting, no new hardware has been added or detected, for that
matter. Still this:

  pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 17.5 (no driver attached)

Even when I try to load a module:

  kldload sound
     or
  kldload snd_ich

These modules do not exist in the /boot/kernel directory or the /boot/modules

My question is, will this built-in device even work on amd64 kernel, or at all?
And even more so, why do I not have any modules present, the ones that
I want to create? eg...sound, etc...

I have even attempted to # sh MAKEDEV snd0 and also pcm0, etc... I get:

 MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV: No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Nick