Problems with a Acer Aspire

Jung-uk Kim jkim at niksun.com
Mon Feb 14 08:52:45 PST 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 04:48 am, Kent Palmkvist wrote:
> At 18:36 2005-02-11, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> >On Friday 11 February 2005 10:35 am, Astrodog wrote:
> > > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:43:02 +0100, Kent Palmkvist
> >
> ><kentp at isy.liu.se> wrote:
>
>   ...snip...

>   ...snip...
>
> > > Tried the R3000Z line of patches? Might relate.
> >
> >If I am not mistaken completely, his problem is not related to my
> >patches.  Acer Aspire 1522 WLMi has VIA chipsets and they have
> >different issues.  In fact, I have Acer Ferrari 3400 and I had
> >experienced similar problems before.  I am using 6-CURRENT on it
> > now.
> >
> >BTW, 'turning off USB legacy support fixed problem' sounds like he
> > has C0 revision core (i. e., errata #93) without BIOS workaround.
> >  You can see the CPU ID from dmesg:
> >
> >CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (2000.08-MHz K8-class CPU)
> >   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0xf48  Stepping = 8
> >
> >This is from my desktop.  If the Id is 0xf48, you have C0 revision
> >core.  FYI, Ferrari 3400 has Oakville core!
> >
> >CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ (2004.56-MHz K8-class
> > CPU) Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x10fc0  Stepping = 0
> >
> >Jung-uk Kim
>
> I was under the impression that the Kelly Black ISO image would
> contain a release with the R3000Z patches applied. The ISO image
> from that site showed the same errors as the standard 5.3-RELEASE
> CD. I could be wrong of course.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.  Your problem is not the same,
i. e., his ISO image won't fix the problem.  When I installed my
Ferrari 3400 with 5.3 CD-ROM, I had to disable ACPI completely as you
said.  When I upgraded it to 6-CURRENT, everything worked perfectly
fine.  ACPI is on, atpic is off, and mixed mode is off. :-)

> My CPU turns out to be:
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (1801.03-MHz K8-class CPU)
>    Origin = "AutheticAMD"  Id = 0xf4a  Stepping = 10

Okay, yours is CG revision, which should have fixed errta #93.

> And you are right, the laptop is built around a VIA chipset.
>
> Current problems with the machine includes non-working USB (not
> detecting new devices), non-working cardbus (complaining about Vcc
> request). I got the machine on tripple-boot (XP, FreeBSD 5.3 i386
> and amd64). I am also thinking of installing 6-current (it is nice
> with big discs).

6-CURRENT may fix most of your problems, I believe.

Jung-uk Kim