A stupid 64bit question ... but ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Dec 4 14:50:56 PST 2005

I recently bought a new Intel Xeon server, and when I put it together, I
didn't realize that the newer Xeon's were 64bit ... now, I've just built
perl 5.8.7, and its reporting:

=================
# perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.7 built for i386-freebsd-64int

Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
the GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source
kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

I realize that this  may be a stupid question, but am I correct in that
*this* is a 64bit machine, and I should be enabling the AMD64 stuff on
her?

Thanks ...

----