AMD 64 & 5.4 i386 intalls

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Fri Aug 5 19:48:20 GMT 2005

Randy Powell wrote:

> I am in the process of up-dating my motherboard, cpu, and memory. I
> have three Maxter 60GB ATA 133 HDs with Windblows xp on one and two
> Freebsd5.4 installs on the other two. Since my current system is i386,
> my fear is that I will have to reload BSD5.4 amd64 program.
>
> What say you :)

Unless you manage  to buy  a  motherboard that has serious  problems  (
like those with  Nforce3 150  chipset )
you should  be able to run  the GENERIC  i386  kernel on  the new
system  and then customise for any
additional bits.   I am running   the  MSI K8T Neo2 FIR  ( Via
K8T800-Pro chipset )  with  FreeBSD  5.4 i386.

//Lars