Recommendations?

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:40:33 PDT 2005

On 4/15/05, Florent Thoumie <flz at xbsd.org> wrote:
> Le Friday 15 April 2005 à 14:16 -0700, David O'Brien a écrit :

> > > I think the point to be made here, is that there are SOME specific
> > > nforce based boards, that work great,
> >
> > There are?  Which??  The SK8N that DES will respond to my email is
> > actually high on the "bizzare issues" list.
>
>         I have an Asus A8N-SLI (nforce4) Motherboard based box running
>         5-STABLE for some time now. Issues are :
>         x ACPI (quite common),
>         x Sound (not much a problem since I have an Emu10K1 based sound
>         card which is far better),
>         x Network (sk0 works fine, but not should-be-nv0),
>         x USB (no clue, I'm not using it ATM but firewire works).
>
>         The system is totally usable, I have a Geforce 6600 PCI-E and
>         the whole thing runs Xorg 6.8.2 with nv driver. I'm totally
>         happy with it.
>
>         As Dag-Erling said, it'll be good if you were not giving false
>         information and better (my opinion), as re-amd64@ if you were
>         trying to get better relationship with Nvidia.
>
> --
> Florent Thoumie
> flz at xbsd.org

You listed 4 issues that quite a few people wouldn't want to deal
with... ACPI is a nightmare unto itself, Lotsa people use onboard
sound, the nv ethernet stuff should work now, and USB is important.

NVidia support would be much, much better, if nvidia provided the
documentation the FreeBSD team needs to get those things fixed, or if
they provided even binary drivers and kernel modules.

The fact that those 4 issues come up, safely demonstrates that the
board is not well supported, although it may work.