Tyan k8sr lockups

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Apr 15 12:31:31 PDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Vivek Khera wrote:

> I have a S2881 (aka K8SR) board and a megaraid 320-2x card in it with
> 8 U320 disks. During times of heavy I/O and network traffic (running
> database reports and backing up the DB) it has a tendency to lockup
> and/or timeout the network card.

As I started this thread, I shall now close it (I hope).

The solution to my above system locking up was to disable the on-board
bge NIC via the BIOS, and plug in a dual intel NIC that uses the em
driver.  Also, ensure you have at least a Rev C board; mine is a Rev E.

Stable 10 days now under same load that would cause network failures
and potential system lockups daily.

I have no idea if this is due to the driver for bge being buggy, or if
plugging in the intel NIC changed some electrical properties of the
system to stabilize it.

Hope this note helps someone else save a *lot* of time figuring it out.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806