Tyan k8sr lockups

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Apr 4 08:39:29 PDT 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 4:01 PM, Roger Marquis wrote:

> This wasn't a U320 SCSI system by any chance?  The reason I ask is
> that it is very similar to problem a few months ago, on a Tyan
> S2881, which turned out to be pci-x bus related.  Have also seen
> similar/identical issues with other Tyan boards when used with U320
> SCSI controllers.

Whoa!  Alarm bells just went off over here.

I have a S2881 (aka K8SR) board and a megaraid 320-2x card in it with 8
U320 disks. During times of heavy I/O and network traffic (running
database reports and backing up the DB) it has a tendency to lockup
and/or timeout the network card.

Do you have details on what you did to resolve your issue?  I googled a
lot but didn't find much to help me.  My vendor claims that it is
probably the bge interface onboard that is problematic (says FreeBSD
5.3 driver is buggy) and is shipping some intel NIC cards.  I'm running
5.4-PRE on this box now.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806